Monday 4 March 2013


Birthday Boys

I know I rave an awful lot about the J Man, my youngest son, but it’s his birthday today, so I’m going to rave about him some more.

Jacob Hendry is awesome. And amazing.

Those words are actually part of the pre-game ritual we do before I leave his hockey team’s dressing room. It’s “Play hard, play strong and have fun.” Followed by “Be awesome” or Be Amazing” or lately, both.  Followed by props, and then he tries to whack me in the head with his glove before I can get the heck out.

The message I’m trying to get across is that he should be responsible to his teammates, but at the same time I want him to be creative and take a few chances, because that’s how you learn and that’s how you unlock your potential. But above all, I want him to remember that it’s a game, so have fun.

Having fun is what Jake enjoyed yesterday at his party at North End Bowl. He’s a lot like me in that he’s basically shy, but when you put him in his comfort zone with friends and family he lets loose and has a blast. 

Yesterday he certainly had a blast and it’s good to see him smiling and having fun with his pals. And kicking butt as well – he bowled a 157 to win easily, though some of his buddies were bowling between their legs or releasing the ball whilst on their bellies or other such shenanigans.

They are just kids after all.

So happy birthday, Jake.

And while I’m on the subject of birthdays, there’s a couple of other boys near and dear to my heart celebrating milestones this week. Both my oldest son Matt – the rock star I’ve talked about before – and my dad, Bob, will blow out birthday candles this Saturday. Matt is turning 23 and will probably celebrate like most rock stars by jamming with his band mates and downing a few wobbly pops. Or Crown Royal. Or whatever he feels like on Saturday night.

Dad, however, will probably make his birthday celebrations a little more low-key. Not because he’s old or anything – he’s only turning 80 – but because he will have just returned the day before from a two-month cruise with my mom to Brazil and other exotic equatorial locales.

The man needs to rest and recuperate and get back to all that busy retirement stuff. And stop spending my inheritance.

So happy birthday Matt and happy birthday Dad. The J Man had a blast on his day. Now it’s your turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment