Tuesday 30 April 2013


Playoff (Pool) Fever

The Leafs in six.

That’s what I put down in the family hockey pool, so it must be true.

That’s the heart, not the head talking, no doubt about it. But I honestly think we have a tinker’s chance. Funny thing is, I seem to be in the minority. Even the die-hard fans seem convinced the Bruins will walk all over Toronto in this series. They’re looking at the 1-8-1 record Toronto has against Boston in recent years. They’re looking at Phil Kessel’s dismal record against his old team since ‘the trade.’ They’re looking at the physical dominance Boston has enjoyed against us, thanks to players like Chara, Lucic and Thornton.

I think those fans are looking for excuses before the series has even started.

Those numbers are old and tired numbers, just like some of the Bruins. Truth be told, all the games this year were close and if you remember, we won the last encounter. And if you’re looking for a physically intimidating team in 2013, look no further than the Toronto Maple Leafs. And as a final point, Phil Kessel is on fire lately.

So don’t give up on your team so fast, Guido from Woodbridge, or Joe from Oshawa. Have a little faith in the boys in blue. Toronto in six games.

I’m also picking Washington in five games. I’m predicting Ovie has a monster series and Torts has a complete breakdown, throttling New York Post writer Larry Brooks in the process. Easily the most entertaining series in the first round, if we count the post-game press conferences.

The Montreal-Ottawa series is going to be a good one, but I have Montreal in seven. P.K. (Subban, not the penalty kill) will be the difference.

I like what the Islanders have done this year – John Tavares had a legitimate MVP-type season – but Pittsburgh will win, with or without Sid the Kid. Pittsburgh in five.

Out west, Chicago has been the class all year and I don’t see that dynamic changing in the post-season. Up until a week ago I had Minnesota as a bit of a dark horse, but they were horrible down the stretch and nearly missed the playoffs. Still, they have enough to make it interesting. Chicago in six.

I think Detroit gave it all they had just getting to the big dance, apparently for the 300th year in a row. Anaheim in six games.

Vancouver has had a good year and there are those who think maybe this is their year. Not me. San Jose in six.

The Blues, meanwhile, have got hot at the right time and I think they make short work of the defending champion Los Angeles Kings. St. Louis in five.

As always, this information is for entertainment purposes only. Do not use for hockey pools: it’s only going to work for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment