Thursday 9 May 2013


Leafs, nieces, Tavares and trucker tans

The stats were telling: 67 combined hits in Game 1, 79 in Game 2 and 99 in Game 3.

As soon as the Toronto Maple Leafs drew the short straw in the form of a first round matchup with the Boston Bruins, they knew they were going to be for a physical series. But the bumps and bruises are adding up; the energy-draining pounding is taking its toll.

Win Game 4 and the pain from those injuries won’t be important. Lose, and fall 3-1 down, and every ache and pain will be felt ten-fold.

The Leafs took it to Boston last night and were the more aggressive team in the overtime session. But 13 minutes into the first overtime period David Krejci scored the killer blow, his third of the game. The Bruins won, and the Leafs are down 3-1, heading back to Boston for Game 5.

It will be very, very tough for Toronto to come back from this, but never say never.

I was especially hopeful for this game, as my nieces Natalie and Nicole were at the game and I know they were cheering themselves hoarse. That was a good effort, girls. Maybe you can do it again for Game 6? Here’s hoping.

For the record, the hits for Wednesday’s game hit the 120 mark, with Toronto leading the parade, 71-49.

Bet Boston isn't as sore today, though.
*
Speaking of Natalie and Nicole, I think it’s time I rectify a little oversight. In my ‘Heroes’ blog from Boxing Day I spoke of the young women in my life who I draw inspiration from. I mentioned Nat, but not Nicole. In my defence, my goal was to highlight qualities in these wonderful women that could transfer well to anyone in need of awesomeness.

I didn’t think mere mortals would be able to use the lovely Nicole’s special brand of caustic coolness. I figured only she could pull it off.

But that’s weak; I know that now. It simply would be more of a challenge. But it’s exactly those kinds of challenges that can lead to greatness, no?

You’re on the list, Nic.
*
If the Leafs can’t do it, I’m going to lend my support to the New York Islanders. Never been much of an Islander fan (though I was a fan of Mike Bossy), but this squad has no fear of the mighty Pittsburgh Penguins and have squared the series at 2-2.

The fans are loud and knowledgeable and keep up the roar all game, which is something you have to respect.

And John Tavares is finally living up to the can’t-miss superstar billing he earned back in his Oshawa Generals days.

He’s not missing anymore.
*
I’ve put in 30 hours of work in the past three days; most of it toiling in the hot sun.

So naturally, I earned some colour and even a painful burn. But is my sunburn the result of all that work outside? No. It’s trucker tan, passenger-style, from the ride back to the shop.

Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment