Monday 25 February 2013

Bros before Prose
I was going to write an epic poem today but I decided to write about my brothers instead. Bros before prose, you know.
My older brother Brian was trying to organize a meet with Jake and I on the weekend at the Prospectors & Developers Association Convention, which we weren’t able to pull off. I’m not all that excited by rocks and stuff (though as a journalist I’m sure I would find it interesting) and I'm not even sure if Jake would like it, but gold and zinc and things geologists have to say wouldn’t be the reasons we would have gone anyway. It would have been a chance for the J Man to see his uncle (which doesn’t happen often enough) and vice versa.
I don’t even know if Brian was going downtown to see the pretty stones (which have always fascinated him) or because he has business interests in the mining sector, which is more likely.
But damned if I know because there has always been an air of mystery to my big brother.
Always around finance and money; often around real estate; and sometimes not around at all, Brian has shuttled back and forth between various properties south of the border and the family homestead in Downsview, which is where he’s stationed right now. There was the Colorado spa/Buddhist temple/healing centre; the artist retreat in New Mexico; the houseboat in St. Augustine, Florida; and the Antigua beach house he had to vacate each hurricane season, just to name a few.

Next up is Nova Scotia, possibly to see the total eclipse of the sun. Or not.
Unlike some money people who liked to stay one step ahead of the law (tax laws, anyway), Brian likes to be on the move to stay ahead of the data harvesters. He even likes to keep his internet ‘footprint’ as small as possible by staying away from credit cards and even deliberately misspelling his name on some email accounts.
Oh, that crafty brother of mine.
He’s also the sweetest man I know, and he considers it his duty to ensure that the J Man, who carries the Hendry name after all, is properly introduced to the legacies that name represents. “The torch; be yours to hold it high,” something like that. The previous line from In Flanders Field probably also applies – “To you from failing hands we throw,” but that’s a story for another day.
Now Craig, my little brother, is another matter. He’s the man of action in the family. The one who is the most comfortable around heavy machinery, snowmobiles and all things North of Seven. He’s brash and unapologetic and a lot like Dad, actually, which may explain why we fought like cats and dogs when we were younger.
(Love ya, Dad.)
But despite what my niece Nicole thinks, I have enormous respect for my brother. He’s actually one of my heroes.
His part-time job? He’s a volunteer firefighter for the Innisfil Fire Department. That’s Captain Craig Hendry, if we’re getting titles right, and if that don’t say Leadership Skills, I dunno what would. And his former part, part-time job was Zamboni driver for his local rink in Lefroy or Stroud, I forget which.
That is a true Canadian hero, folks. Firefighter and Zamboni driver: the real double-double.
So in your face, Nicole.
(Love ya, Nicole.)
While I’m on the subject of brothers, a shout-out to my four brothers-in-law would also be appropriate.
Chris, the oldest, is the one I chat with the most, and I’ll drop by on a semi-regular basis to keep up with the Rozel family gossip. Quiet and intelligent, Chris is the type to give you the shirt off his back – okay, maybe not his back, but he’ll have a reasonable facsimile made and shipped to you in 24 hours, no worries – or to lend a spare laptop when my computer bites the dust. Thanks, bro.
Anthony, the used-to-be-the-youngest, is the movie man in the family. Video producer/editor extraordinaire; independent film producer; vegetarian; and swashbuckling partner of Mary, The World’s Greatest Actor. Just to name a few of his talents. And another all-round great guy.
The middle one is Adrian, or Uncle Adie, as he’s known to the kids. Slightly rougher around the edges than his brothers (okay, lot rougher), Adrian is the yin to their yang. In some ways he’s a lot like me (except I’m way better looking), as this Facebook status I stole from my niece Julie will attest:  First text from my dad when he finally figures out his new phone, "I'm gunna need your help with this" almost died laughing.

Sounds like me, doesn’t it?

Finally, we have Noah The Awesome, who is finishing high school in Burlington and is therefore still making his way in this world. The Rozel name (as well as Grani) has its own legacy, just like the Hendry name, and Noah, you are your brother's last hope, so do them proud.

But no pressure.

So there you have it. My bros. Pretty cool, aren't they?

No comments:

Post a Comment